PORT MORESBY- SEPIK – TARI - MOUNT HAGEN
Price per adult base 6 to 7 participants : Request a quote
Price per adult base 8 to 10 participants : Request a quote
Come and meet the Papuans accompanied by Marc Dozier, photographer for the magazine Grands Reportages considered one of the best connoisseurs of Papua New Guinea. This is a unique way to discover the most fascinating country in Oceania !
This trip takes you first to the Sepik River where you will immerse into the daily, often spectacular lives ! of the Yatmoul, the famous Crocodile men with scarred bodies... You will then move on to the region of Tari, in the centre of the country, meet the Huli with Mundiya Kepanga as the local guide, the famous Papuan hero one finds in Marc Dozier's films "Reverse exploration. (French TV channel Canal +) and "Dance with the Papuans". (France 5). At the end of the trip, you will finally see the Hagen Show, the greatest tribal festival in the country. An incredible gathering of tribes, complete with their adornments, songs and feathers. An event no photographer would want to miss! !
Designed so that participants are in the best place at the best time to take photographs, the journey is as much intended to meet the Papuans as to practise one's best photography. All opportunities will be good to learn professional photography techniques and enjoy “in situ” advice from Marc Dozier. His recommendations will always be supplemented by a “debriefing session” in the evening. Regularly, the photographs will be analyzed to make sure that each day is an opportunity to learn more about photography.
- Preparation of travelling arrangements and photo equipment meeting
- Day 1 : Europe – Singapore
- Day 2 : Singapore – Port Moresby
- Day 3 : Visit Port Moresby – Departure for Wewak
- Day 4 : Middle Sepik - Pagwi – Kanganamun
- Day 5 : Middle Sepik - Kanganamun
- Day 6 : Middle Sepik
- Day 7 : Middle Sepik
- Day 8 : Tari worms (charter flight)-Hotel
- Day 9/10/11/12 : Region of the Tari Huli people. Total immersion in real life reporting conditions.
- Day 13 : From Tari to Hagen
- Day 14 : Photo debriefing day at hotel – preparation for festivals
- Day 15 : Paya Show
- Day 16/17 : Hagen Show / Port Moresby
- Day 18 : Port Moresby – Singapore
- Day 19 : Return to Europe
Day 1 :
Departure for Singapore with Air France or equivalent company (direct flight). Night in the aircraft.
Singapore for Air Niugini PX293 flight to 23.40 to Port Moresby. Night in the aircraft.
Day 3 : ARRIVAL PORT MORESBY AND WEWAK
Arrival early in the morning at Port Moresby airport, capital of Papua New Guinea, and registration for the next flight, towards Wewak. After breakfast, We begin the journey with a visit to the Papuan capital, a strange town, but offering different points of interest (Museum, Botanical Garden...). Around 15:00, departure for Wewak, capital of the Sepik region, where you will at last reach your hotel accommodation.
Accommodation : Comfortable hotel. Meals : B.L.D
Day 4 : TOWARDS THE MIDDLE SEPIK
Departure early in the morning by bus, with all the necessary supplies for your shipment on the Sepik River. You reach the town of Pagwi, where you embark on a motor canoe to head for the Middle Sepik region, where your accommodation will be in the local people's homes. Here you are housed at Kanganamun, right next to the oldest and most beautiful House of the Sepik spirits ! The ideal place to immerse into the Yatmul culture and begin to work on your photography. Accommodation : Rudimentary, in guesthouse in village. Meals : B.L.D
Day 5/6/7 : MIDDLE SEPIK
These three days are devoted to the discoveries of the Yatmoul culture, the people of the Middle Sepik, known for their spectacular scars. There are many opportunities and photographic situations : fishing in the Lakes, traditional dancing, interiors of houses of spirits,…
Accommodation : Rudimentary, Homestay in village. Meals : B.L.D
Day 8 : TARI WORMS – CHARTER FLIGHT
In the morning and depending on the weather, flight to Tari from a grassy airfield on the River in order to reach Tari, capital of the region where one finds the village of Kobe Tumbiali from where Mundiya Kepanga originated, the famous Hero movies 'The exploration reversed' and 'Dance with the Papuans' made by Marc Dozier and Jean-Marie Barrère. Hotel installation to 'recover' from the Sepik river expedition, relax in a more comfortable environment and first debriefing on one anothers' photographs.
Accommodation : Rudimentary, in guesthouse in village. Meals : B.L.D
Day 9/10/11/12 : TARI REGION
In the morning, departure by bus to the village of Kobe, to 1 a half hour's drive. We settle in a small "guesthouse" in the heart of the gardens of the inhabitants... Our stay here allows photographs of famous oil trimmings and local dances. The Huli are great gardeners and fierce warriors always ready to go to war to defend a territory, women or pigs… You spend your stay in the village of Mundiya Kepanga in the company of Marc Dozier, an added advantage for your discoveries.
Accommodation : Rudimentary, in guesthouse in village. Meals : B.L.D
Day 13 : FROM TARI TO HAGEN
Departure in the morning by scheduled airline for Mount Hagen, the economic capital of the Papuan mountains. Installation in a comfortable hotel, where we can recover from our somewhat rough stay at Tari. First debriefing on the work accomplished in Tari. Accommodation : Hotel. Meals : B.L.D
Day 14 : DEBRIEFING
Day of rest and debriefing in Hagen, sorting of photos and advice before the festivals of the following days... Visit of a privately owned Orchid Garden, with a few animals.. It is again an opportunity for more pictures ! Accommodation : Hotel. Meals : B.L.D
Day 15 : PAYA SHOW
You now attend a pre-festival of Hagen, organized in a small village in the vicinity of the city. This festival which brings together a dozen of different troops enjoys a very intimate atmosphere and allows already beautiful images while multiplying the discoveries of Papuan trimmings. Accommodation : Hotel. Meals : B.L.D
Day 16/17 : HAGEN SHOW
The big day ! Early Saturday morning you mingle with multiple Papuan troops representing a variety of ethnic groups - the diversity of the country summarized in one weekend - to discover the secrets of preparing, then you attend the parade of all these troops as a VIP. It is a whirlwind of feathers, colors and songs !
On Sunday morning you return again to the festival for the second day, then on Sunday afternoon you move on to Port Moresby, the capital of the country. Accommodation : Hotel. Meals : B.L.D
Day 18 : PORT MORESBY IN SINGAPORE
After a last morning with Marc and a talk about your photos, your flight leaves at 14.25 for Singapore where you arrive at 18.40 local time, time to catch a plane in the evening for Europe. Night in the aircraft
Day 19 : ARRIVAL IN EUROPE
Rates stay in Papua :
This stay is being developed. We will know the price very soon.
These prices include :
– All the air travel from France or any other country in Europe (two international flights and four domestic flights).
– The accompaniment by Marc Dozier and English-speaking local guides.
– All land and maritime transfers noted, in the program, private vehicles.
– All visit charges, admissions, festivals, etc...
– Accommodation in double or twin room in the accommodation referred to in the program.
– Our 24-hour on-site support.
– The meals as described in the itinerary (see B/L/D : B = breakfast, L = lunch, D = dinner).
These prices do not include :
– The cost of visas (40 EUR).
– Mandatory repatriation assistance insurance / personal insurance (please ask us).
– Drinks and personal expenses.
– Any tips.
– Unspecified meals in the program ((see B/L/D : B = breakfast, L = lunch, D = dinner).
Stay rates in chartreuse : option for the professional treatment of your photos)
From 4 participants : 800 EUR incl. VAT. half board
NB: For departures outside Europe, Please contact us. We can make reservations for you in economic or business class.
Exceptional, This trip is an opportunity to share a "photographic trip account" with Marc DOZIER, reporter for the magazine Grands Reportages and author of several books, to take advantage of his experience of photography and the country. Let him become your teacher during this exceptional three-week long journey ! During the journey, Marc will guide you to discover the most beautiful sites of Papua New Guinea and will serve as guide during exceptional meetings organised in most cases specifically for the Group.
Your guide-photographer MARC DOZIER
Author of numerous articles, books and films about Papua New Guinea, Marc Dozier is fluent in Papua and especially familiar with this region of the world where he has made many friends. Discover his work on the site : www.marcdozier.com as well as on-site magazine Grands Reportages : www.Grands-reportages.com
MINI BIBLIOGRAPHY of MARC DOZIER ON PAPUA NEW GUINEA
In the magazine Grands Reportages
• Corto Maltese visits the Papuans, 14 pages, No. 376, December 2012.
• Wizards of the Yam, 14 pages, No. 349, December 2010 .
• Papua New Guinea, 40 pages, No. 339, March 2010 .
• The guardsmen of the forest, 14 pages, No. 323, December 2008 .
• The Pacific Adventure, 12 pages, No. 300, January 2007.
• Celebrations of love, 12 pages, No. 299, December 2006 .
• Eden of the Pacific, 14 pages, No. 266, March 2004 .
• In the House of Men, No. 240, 14 pages, 2002.
• On the Sepik, No. 218, 12 pages, March 2000 .
• In the Land of White Men, Editions Niugini, 184 pages, 2012.
• Papua New Guinea, Editions Riverboom, 64 pages, 2011.
• The French Tribe as seen by the Papuans, Dakota editions, 288 pages, 2009.
• 'Exploration in reverse' directed by M. Dozier and J.M. Balasubramaniam (Good pick)
• 'Dancing with the Papuans' directed by M. Dozier and J.M. Balasubramaniam (One Planet)
Google map available soon
Coming soon Gallery